Solved!

Go to Solution

1 Rookie

• 

2 Posts

May 9th, 2024 15:27

ME5024 One Pool or Two

Hello,

I am setting up a ME5024 with 10x 4TB disks for VM storage and was wondering about pool setup. If I use the auto setup it creates one RAID 6 30TB pool if I create a manual pool of 2x RAID 6 and one RAID 1 using both controllers I would lose about 11TB of space. How much of a performance hit would I take if I create only one pool on one controller?

Thanks,

Riverstech

• 

8.5K Posts

May 9th, 2024 20:15

Riverstech,

What that is saying is the data stripes in a raidset would be a power of 2 for best performance. So with 10 disks then a raid 6 stripe would use 2 for parity and 8 for data (which is a power of two).  Now if we instead break this up into two disk groups in seperate pools to have a pool A on controller A and pool B on controller B we will lose the power of 2 but have the benefit of utilizing the frontend ports of both controllers simultaneously when doing IO to both pools however in my personal opinion people usually max out the throughput of the drives well before maxing out the throughput of the host ports, so I would lean towards one pool on controller A and controller B will still work for failover or ALUA when needed. 

You can find more about it here.

Let me know if this helps.

1 Rookie

• 

2 Posts

May 10th, 2024 14:13

@DELL-Chris H​ I agree one pool sounds like the way to go Thanks!

No Events found!